Sunday, June 19, 2011

Goings On...

I haven't been able to check in, in a while because there have been a lot of, "Goings On"... For me to say what all we have been doing would take me until daylight tomorrow. But I can sum it up with one statement. We are having a lot of fun.


The first week after we were in South Ga, we made a trip to Nanny El's favorite produce place, The Red Barn in Manor, Ga. When we arrived, me and the kids headed out to the strawberry patch. This was more like a strawberry heaven.. row after row of red, ripe berries mixed with those that were yet to turn color and some just blooming.
                                                         
Myles, Diesel, Lil Lander and Little Sarah (Lil Lander's sister on his mom's side) had a funtime picking 13 POUNDS of fresh strawberries. Which were later made into homemade Strawberry Jelly by yours truly. After staining our hands red with pickin', we headed inside the air conditioned barn to meet up with Nanny El, Aunt Van, Ms. Pam and Ms. Mary who journeyed with us, and chose to soak up the AC instead. Myles and Diesel must have been really thirsty, well these photos say it all...


I made a half gallon of sweet tea (because I do make the best. It's true- ask anyone.) and packed up some jars and this is what happened to the last of  it between two McCall brothers..


Then we were on to picking corn. I think we came home with around 100 ears, or a "bushel and a half" that cost $12. And I made creamed corn to die for out of it. In the words of my Diesel who tried to imitate my Myles, "HOLE CAW!" which is holy cow! It was delicious! And boy did we ever eat it like it was the last there was ever going to be..



So we fared away with A LOT of fruits and veggies from this garden.. But you may be wondering, How about the garden I planted... Well it is doing great. Either I am picking it, or it is blooming. I have had radishes, squash, okra(ok, just one piece of okra, but thats because it has only started coming in!!!!) banana peppers, and my watermelons, that stared in Ellijay in those Jiffy pots, are almost 2 pounds. HOLE CAW! Not to mention the corn, grean beans, egg plant, bell peppers, canteloupe.... its only a matter of time...
The Trailerhood as we call it, is finished for the most part! I have really never been so proud of something like this before. Just amazing every time I walk through the place.. I will think, "I like that color of paint!" and answer myself, "Oh, I chose that!" "I like how that looks- wait I built that!" "Love those curtains in the kitchen, how old fashioned! HEY, I made those!!!!" I am constantly reminded of the talent God has given me, and that am blessed to use it. And how much I enjoy what all I have been doing. Relying more on us than the store is wonderful. Even though thats just in the babysteps phase, I can tell a difference. And our checkbook hasnt seen many trips to walmart. Like 3 in the past almost 2 months...And we dont really have TV in the trailer. Myles brought his playstation 2, which he hasn't been allowed to play in a month for unnamed reasons, but has played 3-4 movies in that same time frame. If we want to watch the tube, we go across the yard to Nanny El's and usually she is watching The Grand Ole Opry reruns or Hee-Haw.

I have picked up on a lot of sayings while we've been down here..
One of my favorites, maybe my very favorite is when talking of someone who has passed away.."SoandSo was sick.. and come well, Tuesday morning it was over..." "Ooooh, he/she has done and checked on outta here."
Myles and Diesel have enjoyed playing thier newest game,"Jailcopper." For some reason, Myles is always the cop...hmmmmmm. And the other day while waiting on Daddy to finish up the last touches on the go kart, Myles convinced Lil Lander to ride him around the yard. ON THE LAWNMOWER. I have never laughed like I did at those 2 riding around the yard on the Cub Cadet, mowing deck up, at full speed. And full dust storm. And dont foget, we have 3 kids. So while 2 are blazing around the yard on the riding lawnmower, Ohhhhhhhhh yes. Diesel will not be left out. He convinced Aunt Van to ride him around the yard. IN HER CAR!!!!!!!! HOLE CAW! I cannot figure out how he has learned to talk so good, much yet how did he get her to ride him around with the radio up, in her car. IN THE YARD???!!! That took the cake. Thats really what he wanted. And then while Myles and Lil lander are riding the go kart this past weekend, Diesel looked to the bigger picture, again. Nanny El rode him around the yard in her car. Thats really what he wanted, and she even gave him the choice of her car or truck!!!! This is what its all about... sitting in the swing, with Daddy Bear, watching Myles and Lil Lander on the go kart, riding through mud puddles just made using the water hose(who says you have to wait on rain to make a puddle???) and Diesel riding shotgun in Nanny El's car pushing, pressing, and turning every electronic device in it he can reach. All in the fenced in yard..



after picking strawberries


eating corn right after he picked it

Look Momma! He picked it himself.